A little while back we held a very successful networking event here at Pile and Company featuring Paul Bailo, MENG member, author of The Official Phone Interview Handbook and CEO of Phone Interview Pro: www.phoneinterviewpro.com. Paul captured the audience with a presentation on conducting a world class phone interview. Everyone left with real action items to improve their phone interviewing skills. I highly recommend picking up the book!
Here are 21 easy phone interview tips:
“Cliff Notes” from his presentation about phone interviews
1. Be Yourself – “At Your Best”
2. Prepare – Prepare – Prepare
3. Listen – Think – Speak
4. Confident – Professional – Assertive
5. Be Brief – Be Bold – Be Done
6. Speak Less; Listen More
7. Questions are more important than responses
(Things to do that seem incorrect…but they work!)
8. Pick up the phone on the 2nd or 3rd ring
9. Dress-up for a phone interview
10. Take a photo of someone to look at when you are talking to the person on the phone.
11. Write out your questions, things you want to say, answers to possible questions (no one will be able to see this piece of paper…use it)
12. Don’t ask for an e-mail address
13. Use Pauses (no longer then 15 seconds)
14. If you are interested in the position let the interviewer know. “I am very interested in this position and the opportunity to work at Acme Paper.”
(Things to do that seem correct…and are!)
15. Make sure you speak to someone else in the morning before the call and/or meeting–this will wake you up
16. Make sure you have done a lot of research about the company, the job and the industry
17. If you are speaking to the hiring manager, then know about him/her as well
18. Make sure you are polite and remember to say thank you
19. Use vivid words (be graceful; be clear)
20. Take notes
21. Listen Carefully
Many times the phone interview is the first “live connect,” so do it right.
Do you have any tips to add? Please share them in the comments – we’d love to hear from you.